City Council Report
City Council Meeting: January 10, 2012
Agenda Item: 3-C
To: Mayor and City Council
From: Martin Pastucha, Director of Public Works
Subject: Reject Bids for Construction of Bus Stop Redevelopment Project
Staff recommends that the City Council:
1) Authorize the City Manager to reject all bids received on October 3, 2011, for general contracting services, for the construction of the federally-funded Bus Stop Redevelopment Project.
2) Authorize the City Manager to direct staff to reissue a request for bids in order to obtain the best bidder for this project.
On October 3, 2011, three bids were received for the construction of the federally-funded Bus Stop Redevelopment Project. However, all three bids were deemed non-responsive due to incomplete submittals and/or insufficient documentation as required in the instructions to bidders. Staff recommends rejecting all three bids and reissuing the request for bids in order to obtain the best bidder for this project.
This Bus Stop Redevelopment Project would systematically replace over 350 bus shelters in Santa Monica and approximately 900 shelters in the extended network outside Santa Monica and offer improved bus stop shelters, seating, and bus schedule information on either real-time electronic signage or phone-in information system. The project estimate is $6.5M.
In September 2011, a Notice Inviting Bids was published for general contracting services for the construction of the federally-funded Bus Stop Redevelopment Project. It was also posted on the City’s online-bidding system, and advertised in the Santa Monica Daily Press. Three bids were received and publically opened on October 3, 2011. However, all three bids were found to be non-responsive. Two bidders provided incomplete bids and one bidder did not demonstrate good faith effort in meeting the Underutilized Disadvantaged Business Enterprise goal, a requirement in utilizing federal funds.
Staff recommends rejecting all three bids and soliciting new bids with updated technical requirements that would include additional clarification to the bid submittal requirements. Doing so would provide potential bidders with a clear understanding on the expectations, specifications and requirements of this project.
Upon approval from Council, the next steps are:
· Notify the three bidders of the bid rejection – January 2012
· Reissue request for bids – January 2012
· Review bids – February/March 2012
· Return to Council with bid award recommendation – May 2012