City Council Meeting: July 9, 2002 Santa Monica, CA
RESOLUTION NUMBER ______(CCS)
(City Council Series)
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL
OF THE CITY OF SANTA MONICA REGARDING
NAMING PUBLIC FACILITIES
WHEREAS, the Santa Monica City Council wishes to establish a policy regarding naming of City owned land, buildings and facilities,
NOW, THEREFORE, THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SANTA MONICA DOES RESOLVE AS FOLLOWS:
SECTION 1. The City Council hereby establishes the following procedures for the naming of City-owned land, buildings and facilities:
A. Requests for naming City-owned land, buildings and facilities may be submitted by the public, City staff, and related advisory bodies such as the Recreations and Parks Commission, Library Board and Landmarks Commission. The requests may be to the City Clerk in writing, accompanied by a justification for the recommended name(s). All requests will be referred to the Department having jurisdiction over the land, building or facility and to the appropriate Boards(s) or Commission(s) for deliberation. Staff and related advisory bodies will evaluate the recommended name within six months following receipt of a request.
B. Upon completion of deliberations at a public hearing, the staff and advisory body will forward a recommendation to the City Council.
C. The City Council will make its determination as to the naming or renaming of City-owned land, buildings and facilities at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Council at which staff, representatives of advisory bodies and civic organizations and the general public may offer testimony.
D. In naming public land and buildings, the City Council and its advisory bodies shall consider the following:
· Incorporating “Santa Monica” in the name where it is important for civic or other reasons for a building or facility to be identified with the City;
· Recognizing geographic, topographic or historical features or events associated with Santa Monica;
· Commemorating persons who have served the City, in an exceptional manner provided that five years have elapsed since the death of the individual;
· Commemorating persons who have served the State or Nation in an exceptional manner and who have an association with the City provided that five years have elapsed since the death of the individual;
· Commemorating persons who have served the State or Nation in an exceptional or distinguished manner where the contribution is of such major significance that a local association wanes in importance provided that five years have elapsed since the death of the individual;
· Commemorating individuals or organizations who have made important donations of land, funds or materials, equipment and/or facilities;
· Avoiding recognition of those whose contribution has been appropriately recognized in other City venues or by other means.
SECTION 2. The City Clerk shall certify to the adoption of this Resolution, and thenceforth and thereafter the same shall be in full force and effect.
APPROVED AS TO FORM:
MARSHA JONES MOUTRIE