The Planning Process
The community planning process now underway is bringing together stakeholders to explore options for the future of the facility that will ensure the Civic Auditorium becomes a signature cultural resource for Santa Monica. The Civic Auditorium will be the hub of a mixed-use creative campus set in a new cultural district.
Led by a City Council-appointed working group, planning process goals include:
- Draft a vision for the future cultural and community use of the Civic as the hub of a cultural campus.
- Explore an appropriate mix of compatible adjacent uses, from open space to additional facilities as identified in the Urban Land Institute report.
- Evaluate potential financing options and programming and operating models for the Civic.
- Convene a community process to gather input and to build consensus regarding the future of the Civic.
- Provide Council with recommendations regarding the vision, feasible renovation options and the preferred long-term operating model for the Civic.