Search Backing header
City Attorney's Office



How Do I . . .


Report a crime or a violation of the Santa Monica Municipal Code?

The Santa Monica Police Department (SMPD) is charged with preventing and eliminating crime in the City of Santa Monica.  SMPD can be reached at (310) 458-8491 (non-emergency) and 911 (emergency).  Further information about how to report a crime is available here.


The Santa Monica Code Enforcement Division handles cases involving general code enforcement, tenant relocation/habitability and nuisance abatement. The Code Enforcement Division can be reached at (310) 458-4984.  Further information about how to report a violation of the Santa Monica Municipal Code is available here


The Santa Monica Building and Safety Division regulates building construction and safety. The Building and Safety Division can be reached at (310) 458-8355.  Unlicensed construction activity can also be reported to the California Department of Consumer Affairs Contractors State License Board at (562) 345-7600.


The City of Santa Monica has contracted with the Los Angeles County Department of Consumer Affairs to act as the City's local wage enforcement arm. Santa Monica's wage laws regulate general minimum wage, hotel wages, service charges, first-time worker pay and sick leave. Information about the City's Minimum Wage Law and how to report a violation is available here.    Employees can also call (800) 593-8222 to report a violation.                                           .           

The City of Santa Monica has contracted with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health  to be the City's Health Officer. The Department enforces a wide array of state and local public health laws at the City's food serving facilities, hotels, motels, multi-family residential buildings, and other establishments. Santa Monica residents may call (310) 998-3203 to report a violation or concern.


The California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control administers the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act and regulates alcohol serving establishments. The local district office may be reached at (213) 833-6043.

Report a violation of consumer protection, fair housing, or tenant harassment laws?

The Santa Monica City Attorney's Office Public Rights Division brings affirmative litigation to enforce state and local consumer protection and tenant harassment laws.  Consumer complaints can be made using the form is available here.  

Report a problem or concern to the City?

Santa Monica Works  enables residents, businesses, and visitors to report problems or concerns to the City 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  Santa Monica Works is frequently used to report concerns related to, for example, streets and street lights, noise, library conditions, or the Big Blue Bus.  Community members should always contact 911 in the event of an emergency. 

Submit a Public Records Request?

The Office of the City Clerk administers the City's Public Records Center, where requests can be made for City documents and requesters can find updates regarding their requests. 

Serve a subpoena on the City?

The Office of the City Clerk is the agent for service of process for the City of Santa Monica.  Subpoenas for City records should be served on the Office of the City Clerk.  The Office of the City Clerk is located at 1685 Main Street, Room 102.  Subpoenas for police records should be served on the Santa Monica Police Department (SMPD).  Subpoenas for the appearance of City employees in matters related to the City should be served at the employees' department.  Witness and records fees required pursuant to California law must be tendered with the subpoena.  Information about City departments is available here.

Submit a claim against the City?

Claims against the City must be mailed or delivered to the Office of the City Clerk using the form available here.  Claims for death, injury to person or to personal property must be filed within six months after the occurrence. Claims for damages to real property must be filed within one year after the occurrence (Government Code Section 911.2). Disability related assistance and alternative formats are available upon request. The Office of the City Clerk can be reached at (310) 458-8374. 

Apply for a business license?

Information about how to apply for a business license and the business license process is available here.

Learn about the Santa Monica City Council or attend a City Council meeting?

Information about Santa Monica City Council meetings, including upcoming meeting dates, agendas, and minutes, is available here.

Learn about Santa Monica elections and how to run for office?

The Santa Monica City Clerk is the City's elections official.  Information about Santa Monica Elections is available here.  Information about campaign disclosures is available here

Learn about State legal requirements and offices?

The California Legislature drafts laws for the State of California. Information about state laws and pending legislation is available here: 

The Office of the California Attorney General enforces the laws of the State. 

The California Fair Political Practices Commission regulates campaign financing, conflicts of interest, lobbying, and governmental ethics.   

The Santa Monica City Attorney's Office cannot recommend a lawyer or provide legal advice to an individual.  For legal referrals, please contact the Lawyer Referral Service sponsored by the State Bar of California at (866) 44-CA-LAW or












Helpful links

Santa Monica Municipal Code














City of Santa Monica © 2020

200 Santa Monica Pier, Suite J, Santa Monica, CA 90401