Santa Monica has a number of regulations to help manage the presence of large vehicles on city streets. In particular:
- Vehicles exceeding a width of eight feet, a height of eight feet, or a length of twenty feet are prohibited from parking on any City street or alley between 9:00 PM and 6:00 AM [SMMC 3.12.860].
- Commercial vehicles exceeding a width of eight feet or a height of eight feet are prohibited from parking in residential areas at any time, except in the event of an emergency or for the purpose of loading and unloading [SMMC 3.12.870].
- Unattached trailers are prohibited from being parked on any City street or alley at any time, unless in the process of being loaded or unloaded [SMMC 3.12.880].
Various types of permits are offered to allow temporary parking of oversized vehicles or equipment on City streets.
- Temporary No Parking Signs are issued by the Strategic & Transportation Planning Division for the purpose of reserving on-street parking spaces for moving trucks, when off-street parking or loading spaces are not large enough.
- Storage containers (e.g., PODS) require a Use of Public Property Permit from the Public Works Department.
- Residents may request an Overnight Oversize permit from Parking Operations to temporarily park a non-commercial recreational vehicle in residential areas.
- Any vehicle or its load that is wider, taller, longer or heavier than specified thresholds is considered oversized and must have an Oversize Load Permit from Transportation Engineering and Management.
- Physically moving a house requires a House Moving Permit from the Strategic & Transportation Planning Division.