2013-2021 Housing Element
We are updating the Housing Element! Please click here for the 2021-2029 Housing Element Update website: https://www.santamonica.gov/housing-element-update
On Tuesday, December 10, 2013, the City Council adopted the 2013-2021 Housing Element as part of the City's General Plan. The final document is posted here. Hard copies are available for purchase from the Planning Counter at City Hall, 1685 Main Street.
The City of Santa Monica, along with all jurisdictions in the Southern California (SCAG) Region, is mandated by California State Government Code Section 65580 to 65589 to prepare a Housing Element update for State certification within a specified timeframe. State Housing Element law requires that each City and County identify and analyze existing and projected housing needs within their jurisdiction for the next eight years, and prepare goals, policies, programs and quantified objectives to further the development, improvement, and preservation of housing.
The 2013-2021 Housing Element:
- Reinforces the City’s commitment to affordable housing,
- Continues existing City housing policy and updates as needed to meet State mandates and incorporate changes from the recently adopted LUCE,
- Reinforces and expands on LUCE policies for neighborhood conservation and to develop complete neighborhoods in mixed-use areas adjacent to transit opportunities and services,
- Reinforces and expands on LUCE policies for enhancing and preserving the community’s character,
- Identifies strategies for expanding housing opportunities and services for all household types and income groups, and
- Provides the primary policy guidance for local decision-making related to housing.
Housing Element analysis is based on updated 2010 census data on the City’s population, economic, and housing stock characteristics as well as a comprehensive evaluation of programs and regulations related to housing. Through this evaluation and analysis, existing goals were reaffirmed and some new policies and programs have been identified to address the community's housing needs.
The Housing Element planning period coincides with the Regional Housing Needs Allocation (RHNA) period from January 1, 2014, through June 30, 2021.