VIRTUAL PLAN REVIEW AND PERMITTING
The City of Santa Monica appreciates your patience while adjusting to alternative ways of delivering permitting services during the pandemic.
In an effort to provide counter consult services, permit issuance, and return more closely to typical timelines for qualifying Same-Day Review projects (i.e., over-the-counter permits), the City is exploring options available with virtual counter services by appointment. The virtual counter services below are currently being offered, as we continue to strive to expand our virtual service offerings.
Please read the following carefully, as failure to meet the qualifications could result in the cancellation of your appointment.
VIRTUAL OTC/SAME-DAY REVIEW (Instructions and Schedule an Appointment)
Schedule an appointment Monday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. for counter review of projects that qualify for Same-Day Review. Prior to scheduling an appointment, an applicant is required to create a online application and upload the required documents (e.g., permit application, plans if applicable). Examples of qualifying projects include:
- Façade remodels (with prior Architectural Review Board approval from City Planning)
- Limited tenant improvements of retail or office space of less than 2,500SF, and no change of use (restaurants not eligible)
- Non-structural interior demolition or remodel of residential or commercial space that does not affect Fire-Life safety systems and no more than one tenant-occupied residential unit
- Wall signs (with prior Architectural Review Board approval from City Planning)
- Fences and walls
- Solar / photovoltaic systems for one- and two-family dwellings of 15kW or less that do not include an energy storage system and do not include structural elements beyond standard roof attachments
- Window and door change-outs
- Roofing permits involving removal and replacement of tiles/shingles only
- Mechanical/electrical/plumbing fixture replacements
For more information on eligible Same-Day Review project types visit the Plan Review Thresholds page and select the applicable project classification (i.e., Single-Family, Multi-Family, or Nonresidential).
VIRTUAL PERMIT ISSUANCE (Instructions and Schedule an Appointment)
Schedule an appointment with a Permit Specialist Monday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p. m. or 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. for permit issuance of any project that is in a "Ready to Issue" status. Qualifying projects will have obtained all required City approvals and successfully completed any of the following plan review processes:
- Virtual OTC Permit Review
- Minor, Medium, or Major Plan Review (i.e., ProjectDox)
- Demolition Plan Review
VIRTUAL BUILDING AND SAFETY COUNTER (Instructions and Schedule an Appointment)
Schedule an appointment Monday - Thursday from 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. for a general consultation with a Building and Safety plan reviewer.