Senior Beach Parking Permit
The Annual Senior Beach Parking Permit allows for California residents, ages 62 and over, to park at all Beach parking lots (excluding the Pier Deck and short-term parking areas within the lots) during the posted time limits. The annual permit fee is $25 and is valid from April 1 to March 31 of each year. The permits are available for purchase throughout the permit cycle (April 1 - March 31). Please note that the office will not run out of permits.
How to Renew Permits – Existing Permit Holders
The City of Santa Monica is excited to expand the permit renewal options. Beginning Monday, February 3, customers can use the following methods to renew an existing permit:
Online Payment Portal for Renewals
Please visit the following City website to renew your permit online - Click here for access for the City's online portal. Please have your current permit number and the California license plate associated with this permit ready to enter the online payment portal. The website accepts Visa, Mastercard, and American Express credit cards. Online renewals will be available through the month of March.
Postal Mail for Renewals
The City will accept mail in renewals beginning Monday, February 3rd. To renew by mail, please send the following items to: Attention: Parking Operations, Senior Beach Permit Renewal, 1444 4th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90401.
• Copy of existing permit
• Copy of DMV registration
• Copy of State of CA issued identification
• Check or money order for $25 made payable to the City of Santa Monica
• Self-addressed stamped envelope
Please do not send cash via postal mail. Please also allow at least two weeks for your new permit to be mailed to you.
In Person for Renewals and New Applications
Customers may come into the City’s Parking Operations office to process renewals and new applications beginning Monday, March 2. First time applicants must apply in person. In-person customers must provide the following information for renewals and new applications:
• Valid State of California issued driver’s license or identification card – must be age 62 or older
• Valid State of California vehicle registration reflecting the eligible applicants name – NO temporary registrations or documentation will be accepted
• No outstanding parking citations in the City of Santa Monica on the vehicle license plate listed on the registration information provided
• No proxies allowed - Annual Senior Beach Permits will only be sold to the individuals requesting the permits
Please note that an ADA Disabled Person Parking Placard/license plate grants the same parking privileges as the Senior Beach Permit. If you have a valid Disabled Person Placard/license plate, you do not need to purchase a permit.
There are no refunds for lost, confiscated, unwanted, unused, or partial-period-used permits.
Number of Permits Allowed
Maximum of one (1) beach parking permit per eligible applicant is allowed. Permit is only valid for the license plate number to which it is issued and is not transferable to any other car or person.
Valid Times and Locations
Beach parking permits are valid from sunrise to sunset only.
Senior Beach permits are valid in City of Santa Monica beach lots 1N through 10N, and 2S through 5S (excluding the two-hour short-term parking areas). Permits are not valid on the Pier Deck.
Click here for a map.
Placement of Permits
A beach parking permit must be hung from the rear-view mirror with the barcode side facing the front windshield. You may be cited if your permit is not displayed correctly. Displaying a copy of a permit will result in citation. Hangtag permits must be removed when the vehicle is in motion [CVC Section 26708(a)].
Replacing Permits (New Car, Stolen, or Lost)
Beach parking permits can be replaced ONLY if we still have stock available. If you replace a vehicle that has a valid permit with a new vehicle, a one-time free exchange may be issued for the same valid period when you return the original permit and provide us with the registration for the new vehicle. No temporary registrations or documentation will be accepted. If your permit is stolen and you provide a police report, the first replacement is free. A second stolen permit with a police report is 50% of the cost. Lost permits can be replaced only once and at full cost. Permits that have been confiscated for misuse cannot be replaced.
• Senior Beach permits are not valid for overnight parking. Vehicles parked in beach lots after hours are subject to citation and/or tow.
• Beach parking permits can be issued only to personal-registered vehicles, and are not valid on recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles, or vehicles that take up more than one standard parking stall.
• Beach parking permits are not valid in the City lots along Main Street, in preferential parking zones, at parking meters, on the Pier Deck, in parking structures, or in the short-term parking areas.
• Permits are non-transferrable. Individuals who are found to have sold or transferred their permits will have their permits confiscated/canceled and lose their ability to purchase additional permits.
• Vehicles parked in the same space for over 72 hours are subject to citation and/or tow [CVC Section 22651(k)].
• Permit holders must obey all posted signs, the California Vehicle Code, and the Santa Monica Municipal Code.
• Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, or Discover) or check/money order payable to City of Santa Monica. There is a $25.00 charge for each returned check.
• There are NO REFUNDS for lost, confiscated, unwanted, unused, or partial-period-used permits.
For parking permit questions, please contact the City’s Parking Operations Division office at (310) 458-8295.
For questions about parking enforcement or citations, please contact the Santa Monica Police Department Traffic Services Division at (310) 458-8466.