Senior Beach Parking Permit
Senior Beach parking permits are valid from April 1 through March 31 of every year. Senior Beach permits go on sale starting the first Monday in March and while supplies last. Permits are sold on a first-come-first-serve basis. First-time applicants must apply in person. Renewals can be done in person or by mail. Mail-in renewals are accepted starting in March of every year ONLY. Early mail-in renewals will be returned to applicants in their entirety due to non-compliance of program policy and regulations.
To obtain a Senior Beach permit when they are available, you must have the following documents with you at the time of application AND renewal when you reach our counter:
- Valid California driver's license or ID card - must be 62 or older
- Valid California vehicle registration reflecting the eligible applicant's name - no temporary registrations or documentation
- No outstanding parking citations in the City of Santa Monica on the vehicle license plate listed in the vehicle registration provided
When purchasing in person, Senior Beach permits can only be sold to the individuals requesting the permits. We do not accept proxies.
A Disabled Person placard/license plate grants the same parking privileges as the Senior Beach Permit. If you have a valid Disabled Person placard/plate, you do not need to purchase a permit.
How to Apply
First-time applicants must apply in person by bringing the documentation listed above to our office. Please refer to "How to Renew Permits" section below for information on permit renewal.
The fee is $2.20 per year. The permit is valid from April 1 to March 31.
There are no refunds for lost, confiscated, unwanted, unused, or partial-period-used permits.
Number of Permits Allowed
Maximum of one (1) beach parking permit per eligible applicant is allowed. Permit is only valid for the license plate number to which it is issued and is not transferable to any other car or person.
Valid Times and Locations
Beach parking permits are valid from sunrise to sunset only.
Senior Beach permits are valid in City of Santa Monica beach lots 1N through 10N, and 2S through 5S (excluding the two-hour short-term parking areas). Permits are not valid on the Pier Deck.
Click here for a map.
Placement of Permits
A beach parking permit must be hung from the rear-view mirror with the barcode side facing the front windshield. You may be cited if your permit is not displayed correctly.
How to Renew Permits
Senior Beach permits can be renewed in person starting the first Monday in March every year and while supplies last. Permits are sold on a first-come-first-serve basis so please plan accordingly. You must have a current permit to renew by mail and mail-in renewals are accepted starting in March. Early mail-in renewals received before March will be returned due to non-compliance of program policy and regulations. To renew by mail, please send the following items to: ATTN: Senior Beach Renewal, Parking Operations, 1717 4th Street, Suite 150, Santa Monica, CA 90401:
- Copy of your old permit
- Copy of your CA DMV registration
- Copy of your CA driver’s license or ID card
- Check or money order ONLY for $2.20 (per permit) payable to City of Santa Monica
- Self-addressed stamped envelope
DO NOT send cash by mail as your order will not be processed and we cannot be responsible for lost mail. Please allow at least two weeks for your new permit to be mailed to you.
Replacing Permits (New Car, Stolen, or Lost)
Beach parking permits can be replaced ONLY if we still have stock available. If you replace a vehicle that has a valid permit with a new vehicle, a one-time free exchange may be issued for the same valid period when you return the original permit and provide us with the registration for the new vehicle. No temporary registrations or documentation will be accepted. If your permit is stolen and you provide a police report, the first replacement is free. A second stolen permit with a police report is 50% of the cost. Lost permits can be replaced only once and at full cost. Permits that have been confiscated for misuse cannot be replaced.
- Senior Beach permits are not valid for overnight parking. Vehicles parked in beach lots after hours are subject to citation and/or tow.
- Beach parking permits can be issued only to personal-registered vehicles, and are not valid on recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles, or vehicles that take up more than one standard parking stall.
- Beach parking permits are not valid in the City lots along Main Street, in preferential parking zones, at parking meters, on the Pier Deck, in parking structures, or in the short-term parking areas.
- Permits are non-transferrable. Individuals who are found to have sold or transferred their permits will have their permits confiscated/canceled and lose their ability to purchase additional permits.
- Vehicles parked in the same space for over 72 hours are subject to citation and/or tow [CVC Section 22651(k)].
- Permit holders must obey all posted signs, the California Vehicle Code, and the Santa Monica Municipal Code.
- Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, or Discover) or check/money order payable to City of Santa Monica. There is a $25.00 charge for each returned check.
- There are NO REFUNDS for lost, confiscated, unwanted, unused, or partial-period-used permits.
For questions about parking enforcement or citations, please contact the Santa Monica Police Department Traffic Services Division at (310) 458-8466.