|PLEASE NOTE: Plan review is currently delayed beyond the estimated timeframes detailed below. We appreciate your patience and are working to diligently complete all projects as soon as possible.
PLAN REVIEW THRESHOLDS
Please refer to the links below to identify the plan review process associated with the City's review of a building permit application based on project type and scope of work.
Building Permit Exemptions
The following project types do not require a building permit; however, Zoning Conformance Review may still be required (see City Planning for further information).
- 1-story detached accessory structure less than 14-feet in height with no utilities and less than 120SF.
- Exterior freestanding fences seven feet or less in height, and concrete or masonry walls 4 feet or less in height.
- Retaining walls less than four feet in height, as measured from bottom of footing, and not supporting an adjacent building, pool, or driveway.
- Finish work (e.g. carpeting, painting, wallpaper).
- Reinstallation of existing fixtures (e.g. sinks, water closets) associated with work to repair, stop leaks or other work not requiring a building permit (e.g. floor tile installation), provided the reinstallation does not involve the replacement or rearrangement or valves, pipes, or fixtures.
- Platforms, driveways, and walkways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below.
- Flooring when on concrete slab or when weighing less than four pounds per square foot, or when replacing the same weight per square foot.
- Movable cases, counters and partitions not over five feet, nine inches in height.
- Repair of electrical or mechanical equipment.
- Repair or replacement of electrical switches, contacts, or control devices.
- Reinstallation of plug receptacles.
- Electrical operations operating at less than 25 volts and not capable of supplying more than 50 watts of energy.