PERMIT SERVICES CENTER
1685 Main Street, Room 111
Santa Monica CA 90401
Public Counter Hours
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.*
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
*City Hall is closed on alternating Fridays.
A list of closed Friday dates can be viewed here.
Santa Monica's Permit Services Center processes, reviews, and approves building permit applications to provide the legal permission to construct new development, or alter or add to existing development.
Public Counter Services
The following public counters are available for walk-up consultation and service during the Permit Services Center hours. A greeter is present upon entering Permit Services Center to assist you if you are unsure which counter to visit for your particular issue.
- Permit Specialist (building permit issuance, fee payment, Building & Safety records)
- Building & Safety (Building Codes, plan review)
- City Planning (zoning, plan review, land use entitlement application submittal)
- Mobility (temporary 'No Parking' signs, Temporary Traffic Control Plan, Oversize Load permit, plan review)
- Civil Engineering (public right-of-way, street survey, utility permit, utility records)
- Public Works (Use of Public Property permit, moving PODS, filming)
Building permit applications may require plan review by multiple City Departments/Divisions outside the Planning and Community Development Department (PCD) depending on the scope of work. Reviewers of building permit applications may include:
How To Submit Your Building Permit Application
Once you know which plan review process applies to your particular project, the following pages will instruct you on the process and requirements associated with your building permit application submittal.
- ePermits (online permit system for limited, minor improvements to single-family dwellings only)
- Same-Day Plan Review submitted to Permit Specialist at Permit Services Center (more information coming soon)
- Plan Check (Electronic Plan Review) - SFR, Medium, and Major plan review types