Overnight Resident Beach Parking
- Overnight Resident and/or Guest parking permits for City beach lots are issued only to Santa Monica residents who live within the area bounded by the northern City limits to the north, the southern City limits to the south, Pacific Coast Highway/Ocean Avenue/Neilson Way on the east, and the Pacific Ocean on the west.
- Central Zone Overnight Resident and/or Guest parking permits are reserved for Santa Monica residents who live within the area bounded by Seaside Terrace to the north, Pico Boulevard to the south, Ocean Avenue on the east, and the Pacific Ocean on the west.
Beach permits are sold in person at our office. We do not accept applications or payments for Overnight Resident Beach permits by mail or online. Beach permits must be purchased in person by the individuals requesting the permits. We do not accept proxies.
Residents must have the following forms of documentation at the time of application AND renewal when reaching our counter:
- Proof of residency in the form of a utility bill, bank statement, or credit card bill from the last 30 days reflecting your name and a service address that is within the boundaries as defined above
- Current California vehicle registration reflecting your name and residential address is also required if purchasing a license-plate-specific Resident permit (no temporary registration or documentation)
New residents with only a lease/rental agreement may purchase one month's parking only.
Landlords and Building Managers
Landlords/building managers may not purchase permits on behalf of their tenants. Landlords/building managers are only able to purchase up to two (2) Guest permits for use when visiting the building/unit regardless of the number of owned/managed units in the building or parcel.
If you live on site, you can only apply for preferential parking permits as a resident (please refer to information above for eligibility requirements). You cannot obtain permits as a landlord/building manager and as a resident for the same building or parcel. In order to qualify for a landlord/building manager account, you must provide the following:
- Proof of ownership: a grant deed, recent mortgage statement, or recent property tax bill only
- If building manager, proof of employment in addition to proof of ownership from the owner
- Proof of valid business licenses with the City of Santa Monica: An owner must have a valid Santa Monica business license to lease property (residential only; no commercial) and the building manager may need one to manage property
Please visit the Business License page or call (310) 458-8745 for more information on Santa Monica Business License.
- $15.00 per calendar month
- $75.00 for semi-annual (January 1 to June 30 or July 1 to December 31)
- $150.00 for annual (January 1 to December 31)
There are no refunds for lost, unwanted, unused, or partial-period use of permits.
Number of Permits Allowed
- Maximum of two (2) Overnight Resident Guest permits per household. A Guest permit may be used in any car, including the resident's car. Vehicle registration is not required for Guest permits.
- One Overnight Resident permit per vehicle registered at your residential address within the defined boundaries, maximum of two per household. California vehicle registration must reflect your current residential address. A Resident permit is only valid for the specific vehicle license plate it is issued to and is not transferrable to any other car.
- Landlords/building managers - maximum of two (2) Overnight Resident Guest permits per parcel/building if requirements are met.
Placement of Permits
Resident and Guest hangtag permits must be displayed from the rearview mirror. You may be cited if your permit is not displayed correctly. Hangtag permits must be removed when the vehicle is in motion [CVC Section 26708(a)].
Replacing Permits (New Car, Stolen, or Lost)
Beach permits can be replaced ONLY if we still have stock available. If you replace a vehicle that has a valid permit with a new vehicle, a one-time free exchange may be issued for the same valid period when you return the original permit and provide us with the registration for the new vehicle. Temporary registrations will not be accepted. If your permit is stolen and you provide a police report, the first replacement is free. A second stolen permit with a police report is 50% of cost. Lost permits can be replaced only once and at full cost. Permits that have been confiscated for misuse cannot be replaced.
Valid Times and Locations
- Overnight Resident/Guest beach permits are valid in City of Santa Monica beach lots 1N through 9N, and 4S and 5S (excluding the two-hour short-term parking areas)
- Central Zone Overnight Resident/Guest beach permits are valid in the Central Zone lots 2S and 3S located at 1650, 1670 and 1750 Appian Way.
- Overnight Resident/Guest and Central Zone Overnight Resident/Guest beach permits are valid 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
- Permits are non-transferrable and become invalid when the permit holder moves outside the boundaries listed above. Individuals who are found to have sold or transferred their permits will lose their ability to purchase additional permits.
- Overnight Beach Resident permits are not valid on recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles, or vehicles that take up more than one standard parking stall.
- Beach parking permits are not valid in the City lots along Main Street, in preferential parking zones, at parking meters, on the Pier Deck, in parking structures, or in the short-term parking areas.
- Vehicles parked in the same space for over 72 hours are subject to citation and/or tow [CVC Section 22651(k)].
- Permit holders must obey all posted signs, the California Vehicle Code, and the Santa Monica Municipal Code.
- Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, or Discover) or check/money order payable to City of Santa Monica. There is a $25.00 charge for returned checks.
- There are NO REFUNDS for lost, confiscated, unwanted, unused, or partial-period-used permits
For questions about parking enforcement or citations, please contact the Santa Monica Police Department Traffic Services Division at (310) 458-8466.