Day Lot Parking Permit
Day Lot permits are issued only to employees of businesses located on the Santa Monica Pier or along the Santa Monica State Beach. The business must have a valid City of Santa Monica business license for its employees to qualify for permits.
Day Lot parking permits for the upcoming calendar year go on sale the Monday after Thanksgiving. The second semi-annual permits (for July 1 to December 31) go on sale the first business day in May of every year.
Beach parking permits are sold in person at our office while supplies last. We do not accept applications or payments for Day Lot beach permits by mail or online. Beach parking permits must be purchased in person by the individuals requesting the permits. We do not accept proxies.
To obtain a Day Lot permit, you must have the following documents with you at the time of application AND renewal when you reach our counter:
- Current pay stub from a business as defined above (New employee must provide a signed company letterhead by a manager in order to purchase a one-time, current monthly Day Lot permit)
- Valid California driver's license or ID card
- Valid California vehicle registration reflecting the eligible applicant's name - no temporary registration or documentation
- $27.00 per calendar month
- $105.00 for semi-annual (January 1 to June 30 or July 1 to December 31)
- $155.00 for annual (January 1 to December 31)
There are no refunds for lost, confiscated, unwanted, unused, or partial-period-used permits.
Number of permits Allowed
Maximum of one (1) beach parking permit per eligible applicant. Permit is only valid for the license plate number to which it is issued and is not transferrable to any other car or person.
Placement of Permits
A beach parking permit must be hung from the rear-view mirror with the barcode side facing the front windshield. You may be cited if your permit is not displayed correctly. Displaying a copy of a permit will result in citation. Hangtag permits must be removed when the vehicle is in motion [CVC Section 26708(a)].
Replacing permits (New Car, Stolen, or Lost)
Beach parking permits can be replaced ONLY if we still have stock available. If you replace a vehicle that has a valid permit with a new vehicle, a one-time free exchange may be issued for the same valid period when you return the original permit and provide us with the registration for the new vehicle. No temporary registrations or documentation will not be accepted. If your permit is stolen and you provide a police report, the first replacement is free. A second stolen permit with a police report is 50% of cost. Lost permits can be replaced only once and at full cost. Permits that have been confiscated for misuse cannot be replaced.
- Day Lot permits are valid only at the City of Santa Monica beach lot designated on the permit.
- Day Lot permits are valid only while you are on work duty.
- Day Lot permits are not valid for overnight parking. Vehicles parked in beach lots after hours are subject to citation and/or tow.
- Beach parking permits can be issued only to personal-registered vehicles, and are not valid on recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles, or vehicles that take up more than one standard parking stall.
- Beach parking permits are not valid in the City lots along Main Street, in preferential parking zones, at parking meters, on the Pier Deck, in parking structures, or in the short-term parking areas.
- Permits are not transferrable. Individuals who are found to have sold or transferred their permits will lose their ability to purchase additional permits.
- Vehicles parked in the same space for over 72 hours are subject to citation and/or tow [CVC Section 22651(k)].
- Permit holders must obey all posted signs, the California Vehicle Code, and the Santa Monica Municipal Code.
- Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, or Discover) or check/money order payable to City of Santa Monica. There is a $25.00 charge for each returned check.
- There are NO REFUNDS for lost, confiscated, unwanted, unused, or partial-period-used permits.
For questions about parking enforcement or citations, please contact the Santa Monica Police Department Traffic Services Division at (310) 458-8466.