Day Beach Parking Permit
Beach parking permits for the upcoming calendar year go on sale the Monday after Thanksgiving.
Current annual Day Beach permit holders are notified by email when renewal becomes available. Renewal is open for a limited time only. Any remaining annual Day Beach permits not renewed during the renewal period are made available to the general public on the first Monday in December of the preceding permit year.
Second semi-annual permits (for July 1 to December 31) go on sale the first business day in May of every year.
Beach parking permits are sold in person at our office while supplies last. We do not accept applications or payments for Day Beach permits by mail or online. Beach permits must be purchased in person by the individuals requesting the permits. We do not accept proxies.
Day Beach permits are issued only to California residents who can provide the following documentation at the time of application AND renewal. You must have these documents with you when you reach our counter:
- Valid California driver’s license or ID card
- Valid California vehicle registration reflecting the eligible applicant's name - no temporary registrations or documentation
- No outstanding parking citations in the City of Santa Monica on the vehicle license plate listed in the vehicle registration provided
A Disabled Person placard/license plate grants the same parking privileges as the Day Beach Parking Permit. If you have a valid Disabled Person placard/plate, you do not need to purchase a permit.
- $27.00 per calendar month
- $105.00 for semi-annual (January 1 to June 30 or July 1 to December 31)
- $155.00 for annual (January 1 to December 31).
There are no refunds for lost, confiscated, unwanted, unused, or partial-period-used permits.
The purchase of Annual Day Beach permits is reserved for current annual permit holders during the renewal time period established by the City each year. First-time applicants for the annual Day Beach permit may purchase permits beginning the first Monday after Thanksgiving until permits are no longer available. Annual Day Beach parking permits are sold while supplies last.
If you would like to renew an Annual Day Beach parking permit click here
If you would like to purchase an Annual Day Beach parking permit for the first time please click here
Number of Permits Allowed
Maximum of one (1) beach parking permit per eligible applicant is allowed. Permit is only valid for the license plate number to which it is issued and is not transferable to any other car or person.
Valid Times & Locations
Beach parking permits are valid from sunrise to sunset only.
Day Beach permits are valid at City of Santa Monica beach lots 1N, 3N, 4N, 5N, 5A, 6N, 7N, 8N, 9N, 2S, 3S, 4S, and 5S, excluding the two-hour short-term parking areas. Day Beach permits are not valid on the Pier deck or in the Annenberg Beach House lot (10N).
Click here for a map.
Placement of Permits
A beach parking permit must be hung from the rear-view mirror with the barcode side facing the front windshield. You may be cited if your permit is not displayed correctly. Displaying a copy of a permit will result in citation. Hangtag permits must be removed when the vehicle is in motion [CVC Section 26708(a)].
Replacing Permits (New Car, Stolen, or Lost)
Beach parking permits can be replaced ONLY if we still have stock available. If you replace a vehicle that has a valid permit with a new vehicle, a one-time free exchange may be issued for the same valid period when you return the original permit and provide us with the registration for the new vehicle. No temporary registrations or documentation will be accepted. If your permit is stolen and you provide a police report, the first replacement is free. A second stolen permit with a police report is 50% of cost. Lost permits can be replaced only once and at full cost. Permits that have been confiscated for misuse cannot be replaced.
- Day Beach permits are not valid for overnight parking. Vehicles parked in beach lots after hours are subject to citation and/or tow.
- Beach parking permits can be issued only to personal-registered vehicles, and are not valid on recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles, or vehicles that take up more than one standard parking stall.
- Beach parking permits are not valid in the City lots along Main Street, in preferential parking zones, at parking meters, on the Pier Deck, in parking structures, or in the short-term parking areas.
- Permits are non-transferable. Individuals who are found to have sold or transferred their permits will have their permits confiscated/canceled and lose their ability to purchase additional permits.
- Vehicles parked in the same space for over 72 hours are subject to citation and/or tow [CVC Section 22651(k)].
- Permit holders must obey all posted signs, the California Vehicle Code, and the Santa Monica Municipal Code.
- Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, or Discover) or check/money order payable to City of Santa Monica. There is a $25.00 charge for each returned check.
- There are NO REFUNDS for lost, confiscated, unwanted, unused, or partial-period-used permits.
For questions about parking enforcement or citations, please contact the Santa Monica Police Department Traffic Services Division at (310) 458-8466.