Filing a Complaint
Each year the Code Enforcement Division responds to over 2,000 complaints. There is no fee to file a complaint. We accept anonymous complaints, but please be sure to provide the correct information regarding the potential violation. Please note that if the information is incorrect or insufficient, the investigation may be hampered and we will be unable to contact you.
Report a Violation
If you think you know of a potential violation, you may report it as outlined below.
- Online – Government Outreach Customer Service Center (Go System). Here you can submit comments, complaints and service requests 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- By E-mail - E-mail the Code Violation Complaint Form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- By Fax – Fax the Code Violation Complaint Form to the attention of the Code Enforcement Division at (310) 395-1536.
- By Regular Mail - Mail the Code Violation Complaint Form to the Code Enforcement Division at 1685 Main Street Room 111, Santa Monica, CA 90401.
- By Phone - Call the Code Enforcement officer at (310) 458-4984. Please provide a call back number, the exact address of the property, and specific information about the potential violation.
- In Person - Visit the Public Counter, where you can fill out and submit the Code Violation Complaint Form directly to the Building and Safety Division counter staff.
Report Tenant Harassment
SMMC 4.56.020 prohibits harassment of tenants by landlords or their representatives. The Code Enforcement Division is responsible for enforcing tenant harassment cases relating to ongoing code cases, construction, relocation or violations of buyout agreements.
Tenants who believe harassment has occurred should complete the online Tenant Harassment Complaint form.
If you prefer, you may
download, print, complete and mail this form.
Required Information When Filing a Complaint
When filing a complaint, please provide the following information. Failure to provide this information may prevent the Division from responding to your complaint or inquiry in a timely manner.
- Contact information (Phone number with area code, cell number if possible, email)*
- Exact property address of where the problem/hazard exists
- Exact/specific statement describing the problem or concern
* This is required for contact/response purposes; please make note if you wish to remain anonymous for confidential purposes, updates may not be provided to anonymous parties.
In addition to filing a complaint with the Planning Department's Code Enforcement Division, there are a number of other options available to you:
- Make Contact with the responsible person. Describe your perception of the problem and discuss how the problem affects you, including possible solutions.
- Attend Neighborhood Organization Meetings and get involved with solving the problem. If you do not know if your neighborhood is represented by an organization, please call the Planning Department at 310 458-8341 and ask for a list of organizations in your neighborhood.