Established in 1975, the mission of the Landmarks Commission is “To protect improvements and areas which represent the City's cultural, social, economic, political and architectural history; safeguard the City's historic, aesthetic and cultural heritage; and promote the use of landmarks and historic districts for the education, pleasure and welfare of the people.” [SMMC Chapter 9.56]
Current members, applicants, vacancies, and appointment application
- Designate landmarks, structures of merit, and advise on potential historic districts
- Conduct evaluations of applications for designation of historic resources
- Regulate and control the alteration of any landmark
- Maintain a current listing and description of designated historic resources
- Provide for a suitable, sign, plaque or other marker indicating the designation
- Participate in environmental review procedures
Meetings & Minutes
The Landmarks Commission typically meets on the 2nd Monday of each month at 7:00 PM in the Council Chambers, City Hall, 1685 Main Street, Santa Monica, California.
Please note: From September through December 2017, meetings for the Architectural Review Board, Landmarks Commission, and Planning Commission, have been temporarily moved to new locations. Please see agenda for specific location details.