To appeal a decision by a Board or Commission, a completed appeal form must be filed at the Public Counter within the indicated period after a decision.
Architectural Review Board
All decisions of the Architectural Review Board may be appealed to the Planning Commission within 10 days following a determination. [SMMC 9.32.160]
Building & Fire-Life Safety Commission
- Appeals of a stop work, suspension or revocation order issued by the Building Officer or the Fire Marshall may be filed with the Building Officer within 3 business days after the issuance of the order.
- Appeals to the Building and Fire Life Safety Commission may be filed within 10 business days after the issuance of a decision by the Building Officer or the Fire Marshall unless otherwise specified. [SMMC 8.08.040]
Landmarks Commission decisions may be appealed to City Council within 10 days.
Planning Commission discretionary projects may be appealed to City Council within 14 calendar days, except Tract Maps and Extensions, which may be appealed within 10 calendar days.
- Variances, Use Permits, Reduced Parking Permits, Home Occupation Permits, Performance Standards Permits, Adjustments, and Yard Modification Permits approved by the Zoning Administrator may be appealed to the Planning Commission within 14 consecutive calendar days from the date of the approval.
- Appeals of discretionary Zoning Administrator determinations may be filed within 14 days of the date of the determination. Zoning Administrator appeals are heard by the Planning Commission.
- Temporary Use Permits issued by the Zoning Administrator for periods of greater than 45 days may be appealed to the Planning Commission within 7 consecutive calendar days after the date of approval.
Applications & Forms
Appeal Request Form - Building and Safety
Appeal Request Form