Welcome to the Community Development Department. Our mission is to create a better community for Santa Monica’s residents, workforce and visitors. With the help of the citizenry, we strive to enhance the character of Santa Monica, conserve neighborhoods, expand mobility options and ensure the safety of the built environment.
- Implementing the Land Use & Circulation Element, which reflects the community’s vision for the city;
- Providing excellent customer service for development review, building plan check and inspections;
- Including sustainability as an overarching principle in our planning practices.
- Six Divisions: Building & Safety, City Planning, Code Enforcement, Economic Development, Mobility, and Parking Operations.
- 104 permanent, full-time employees
- $16.5 million annual operating budget