Codes & Rules for Use of Parks
Rules and municipal codes have been established to promote
safety, minimize conflicts between users, to preserve and protect our parks.
Municipal Code and Official Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
- May I
- Smoking is prohibited within the boundaries of any City park
which includes the parking lot (SMMC 4.44.020).
- Possession of an opened alcoholic beverage is illegal (SMMC
- Are dogs
- Off-leash areas for dogs are available at Airport, Memorial,
Joslyn (Herb Katz Dog Park), and Pacific Avenue Parks. Dogs are welcome in
parks, but must be restrained on a leash (SMMC 4.04.155) and may not enter
playgrounds, courts (tennis, basketball, etc.), playing fields, park and public
buildings, or the beach (SMMC 4.04.160).
- May I
- Barbecuing is allowed only in City-provided BBQ grills found at
Airport, Clover, Marine and Virginia Avenue Parks (SMMC 4.55.100).
- Are bounce houses allowed?
- Inflatable structures such as bounce houses, inflatable obstacles used in interactive games are not allowed (Rule I)
playgrounds for kids?
- Yes, we want kids to play but parents and caregivers should look
for signs indicating appropriate ages for use of play equipment (Rule III). Adults without children are not allowed in a
playground (SMMC 4.55.160). Adults must
not attach ropes, bands or exercise equipment to playground equipment (Rule
- Can I play soccer on a grassy
- Informal soccer games are allowed on turf areas, but shoes with
cleats must not be worn as these damage the grass (Rule I).
- Are fireworks allowed?
- Fireworks are not permitted in City parks, or anywhere in the City,
except at special events with prior City Council approval (SMMC 8.40.020)
- Would it be okay if I picked a
bunch of flowers?
- Flowers, especially those in our lovely Palisades Park rose garden
are for the enjoyment of all. Picking
flowers, especially roses, can damage the plant and is prohibited (SMMC
- May I fly a model airplane?
- These are not allowed in parks, the beach, or beach parking lot
- Is golfing allowed?
- Not in parks or at the beach (SMMC 4.55.045)
- May I slackline between park
- Attaching wire, rope or any object to a public tree is prohibited
- Why are the Palisades’ bluffs
- The bluffs are very fragile and subject to erosion. The area is very unsafe and should not be
entered (SMMC 3.36.115).
skateboards, roller skates, in-line skates, and scooters allowed?
- Yes, in general, if used in a safe manner, respectful of other
park users. These are not allowed on tennis and basketball courts,
or on athletic, playing or synthetic fields (Rules II, IV, and VI).
- When do
I need an event permit?
- An event permit may be required for activities that involve 150
people or more, or for the use of a temporary structure (tents, stages, etc.)
which would require a permit from Fire and/or Building and Safety (SMMC
- Are weddings allowed in Palisades Park?
- Weddings are allowed, with certain restrictions. Please consult Wedding Rules for details.
- Do I need a permit for filming
- A permit may be required for filming or photography activities
undertaken by commercial, nonprofit or student organizations (SMMC 6.110.030).
- May I sell things?
- Vending (the offering of merchandise, food, beverages, admission
tickets, services, etc. for profit) at parks is only allowed at City-produced
events, or in the form of classes taught by a City-contracted instructor (SMMC
- What if
I violate a municipal code or rule?
- Violations may result in a citation, fine or other
- Camping (SMMC 4.08.095), interfering with maintenance and
repair work (SMMC 4.55.090), amplified sound between the hours of 10PM and 8AM
(SMMC 4.12.100), posting signs or handbills (SMMC 4.08.480), are all prohibited in parks.
Santa Monica's Park
Rangers patrol and
monitor park activities on a daily basis to help promote safety for all users
and answer questions.