In order to sell agricultural products, farmers must be certified by the Department of Food and Agriculture from the county where the agricultural products are grown or raised and must have a current Certified Producers Certificate (CPC).
Rate: 4.5% of gross daily market sales + .60 per market attended for state legislative fee.
How to Apply
Farmers may apply year-round to the Santa Monica Farmers Markets with their agricultural products (fruits, vegetables, herbs, mushrooms, nuts, honey, flowers) and their non-certifiable agricultural products (meats, poultry, eggs, dairy products, aqua-culture, and wild caught fish). All products must be grown in California.
Please complete the Santa Monica Farmers Market Farmer/Rancher Interest Form.
As proof of producership, certified producers, where applicable, shall obtain and submit upon request by market management copies of the following documentation:
- Embossed Certified Producers' Certificate (CPC) listing Los Angeles County as an "Authorized County" (Second Certificate requirements reference section 2.2.6)
- All leases and agreements between market participants and third parties
- Map of growing ground with supporting photographs
- Apiary registration (if selling honey)
- Avocado exemption permit or proof of inspection (if selling avocados)
- Organic registration and certification
- Annual health permit for processing facility (if selling processed agricultural products)
- Board of Equalization Permit (for taxable products)
Meat, Poultry & Dairy
- Market Milk Permit
- Farm Inspection Report
- Grade A (or B) permit for milk production
- Tuberculosis Test Record
- Producers/Handlers/Processors Application and Registration
Producers of Fish and Shellfish
- California Department of Health Services Shellfish Growing Area Certificate
- Proof of control over the pond or waters
- State of California Department of Health Services Food and Drug Branch Shellfish Handling and Marketing Certificate
Wild-Caught Fish and Shellfish
- DMV Boat registration
- Commercial California fishing license issued by the California Department of Fish and Game
- Boat registration issued by the California Department of Fish and Game
- Processors and Handlers Permit issued by the California Department of Fish and Game.
- Landing Receipts
- Vehicle Permit issued by the Los Angeles County Department of Health
Mail your completed interest form and documentation materials to:
City of Santa Monica
1901 Main Street, Ste. F
Santa Monica, CA 90405
What else do I need to know?
Rules & Selection
Please review the Santa Monica Farmers Market Rules for selection process and evaluation criteria.
Certified producers and producers not invited to participate in SMFMs at the original time of application will be placed on a waiting list for 12 months and will be reconsidered as space becomes available.
California Department of Food and Agriculture
California Retail Food Code