Front row, l-r: Steve Duron, Vice-Chairperson; Nicole Phillis, Chairperson; Anastasia Foster;
Back row, l-r: Christopher Walton and Todd Flora
| DIVISION HEADS
Tracy Condon, Executive Director
Neil Wessel, Public Information Manager
|Stephen Lewis, General Counsel
Amy Regalado, Hearings Department Manager
Meet the Rent Control Board
The Rent Control Board is composed of five elected members, often referred to as Commissioners. The Board usually meets one or more times per month on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. in Council Chambers in City Hall. The agenda is posted outside the Rent Control Office, and any staff report is available for review at the public counter.
The Board encourages City residents to attend its meetings, particularly when a public hearing is scheduled. This provides the Commissioners an opportunity to hear comments on proposed regulations and programs. Commissioners also read all letters addressed to them. If a letter asks the Board to act on a particular matter, the letter may be placed on the meeting agenda.
Upcoming Meeting(s): August 11, 2016
Rent Control Agency Services
Together, the Rent Control Board and the Rent Control Agency carry out the Rent Control Law’s five basic goals:
- Controlling residential rents;
- Limiting the grounds for eviction;
- Preserving rental housing;
- Encouraging maintenance; and
- Ensuring rental-property owners a fair return.
Rent Control Agency staff administer day-to-day operations, including:
- Answering questions about Rent Control Law;
- Providing information about rent-controlled properties;
- Advising how much rent may be collected for any specific rent-controlled unit;
- Providing information about and referrals to other services in the community; and
- Holding hearings regarding individual rent decreases or increases, rent overcharges, rent levels and amenities, and tenant(s) not in occupancy.
To communicate with Commissioners or Rent Control Agency staff, call (310) 458-8751 or send a letter or e-mail to the Rent Control Office.