The Watch the Road Santa Monica campaign raises awareness of pedestrians and helps prevent motorist pedestrian incidents. Check out the Watch the Road campaign for tips on walking and driving safely.
- Make eye contact with the driver and be sure he/she is stopping before you cross.
- Disconnect. Wearing headphones and listening to music while walking reduces your hearing and can be distracting.
- Be visible! Wearing light colors isn’t always enough – wear reflectors and carry a flashlight when walking at night.
- Know when to cross - cross only with the green light or when the “walk” sign is activated.
- Know where to cross - cross at intersections or marked crosswalk.
- Be cautious in parking lots, too – they can be just as dangerous as the street.
- Use extra care when crossing with children. Remember drivers may not see little ones - hold their hand while crossing.
- Don’t assert the right of way with a fast moving vehicle - you could lose. Allow vehicles enough time to stop.
- Pay attention while walking. Drivers are not the only ones who can be inattentive while talking on the cell phone.
- Remember when your parents taught you to look both ways before crossing the street? It’s the best advice. Watch the road