Senior Beach Parking Permit
Permits for 4/1/16 - 3/31/17 permit year have SOLD OUT. Permits for next permit year will go on sale Monday, March 6, 2017.
When they are available, Senior Beach permits are issued only to California residents 62 years of age or older who can provide the following documentation at time of application and renewal:
- Proof of age and California residency (California Driver’s License or California ID Card)
- Current California Vehicle Registration reflecting the senior citizen's name and current residential address (no temporary registration or documentation)
A Disabled Person placard/license plate grants the same parking privileges as the Senior Beach Permit. If you have a valid Disabled Person placard/plate, you do not need to purchase a permit.
How to Apply
First time applicants must apply in person by bringing the documentation listed above to our office.
The fee is $2.20 per year. The permit is valid from April 1 to March 31.
Number of Permits Allowed
One (1) Senior Beach Permit per eligible applicant. Permit is valid only for the vehicle license plate number to which it is issued and is not transferable to any other car or applicant.
Valid Times and Locations
Beach permits are valid from sunrise to sunset only.
Senior Beach Parking Permits are valid in City of Santa Monica beach lots 1N through 10N, and 2S through 5S (excluding the two-hour short-term parking areas). Permits are not valid in the Pier deck lot.
Click here for a map.
Placement of Permits
Senior Beach permits must be hung from the rearview mirror on the plastic hangtag or placed on the left rear bumper. You may be cited if your permit is not displayed correctly. Permits that are displayed from the rearview mirror must be removed when the vehicle is in motion. [CVC Section 26708(a)]
How to Renew Permits
Permits for 4/1/16 - 3/31/17 permit year have SOLD OUT so we are not currently accepting renewals by mail. If you have mailed in your renewal, your order will be returned to you by mail in its entirety. Senior Beach Permits can be renewed in person or by mail beginning in March of each year. You must have a current permit in order to renew by mail. To renew by mail, please send the following items to Parking Operations, Attn: Senior Beach Renewal, 1717 4th Street, Suite 150, Santa Monica, CA 90401:
- Copy of your old permit
- Copy of your CA DMV registration
- Copy of your CA driver’s license
- Check or money order ONLY for $2.20 (per permit) payable to City of Santa Monica
- Self-addressed stamped envelope
DO NOT send cash by mail as your order will not be processed and we cannot be responsible for lost mail. Please allow at least two weeks for your new permit to be mailed to you.
Replacing Permits (New Car, Stolen, or Lost)
If you replace a vehicle that has a valid permit with a new vehicle, a one-time free exchange may be issued for the same valid period when you return the original permit and provide us with the registration for the new vehicle. Temporary registration is not accepted. If your permit is stolen and you provide a police report, the first replacement is free. A second stolen permit with a police report is 50% of cost. Lost permits can be replaced only once and at full cost.
- Senior Beach Parking Permits are not valid for overnight parking. Vehicles parked in beach lots after hours are subject to citation and/or tow.
- Beach permits are not valid for recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles, or vehicles that take up more than one standard parking stall.
- Beach permits are not valid for on-street parking, at parking meters, in the parking structures, or in the short-term parking areas.
- Permits are not transferrable. Individuals who have sold or transferred their permits may lose their permit privileges.
- Permit holders must obey all posted signs, the California Vehicle Code, and the Santa Monica Municipal Code.
- Pay by cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, or Discover) or check payable to City of Santa Monica. There is a $25.00 charge for returned checks.
- There are no refunds for lost, unwanted, unused, or partial-period use of permits.
For questions about parking enforcement or tickets, please contact SMPD Traffic Services at (310) 458-8466.