Overnight Resident Beach Parking
- Overnight Resident and/or Guest parking permits for City beach lots are issued only to Santa Monica residents who live within the area bounded by the north City limits to the north, the south City limits to the south, Pacific Coast Highway / Ocean Ave / Neilson Way on the east, and the Pacific Ocean on the west.
- Central Zone Overnight Resident and/or Guest parking permits are reserved for Santa Monica residents who live within the area bounded by Seaside Terrace to the north, Pico Boulevard to the south, Ocean Avenue on the east, and the Pacific Ocean on the west.
Residents must provide the following forms of documentation at the time of application and renewal:
- Proof of City of Santa Monica Residency within the boundaries defined above.
- For proof of residency, we accept your current utility bill, credit card bill, or bank statement showing your name and residential address (not a P.O. Box or business address).
- A new resident with only a lease/rental agreement may purchase one month’s parking only. Proof of residency as listed above must be provided to renew permit(s).
- Current California Vehicle Registration reflecting your name and residential address is also required if purchasing a license plate-specific Resident permit (no temporary registration or documentation)
- $15.00 per calendar month
- $75.00 for semi-annual (January 1 to June 30 or July 1 to December 31)
- $150.00 for annual (January 1 to December 31)
There are no refunds for lost, unwanted, unused, or partial-period use of permits.
Number of Permits Allowed
- Maximum of two Overnight Resident Guest permits per household. A Guest permit may be used in any car, including the resident's car. Vehicle registration is not required for Guest permits.
- One Overnight Resident permit per vehicle registered at your address, maximum of two per household. California Vehicle Registration must reflect your current residential address. A Resident permit is only valid for the specific vehicle license plate it is issued to and is not transferrable to any other car.
Placement of Permits
Resident and Guest hangtag permits must be displayed from the rearview mirror. Permits must be removed when the vehicle is in motion [CVC Section 26708(a)]. Resident bumper sticker permits must be placed on the left rear bumper only.
For motorcycles and scooters, sticker permits should be placed visibly on the left front side (e.g., on the fork or the fairing). Hangtag permits may be placed in lockable motorcycle permit holders that can be purchased from various retailers.
If your permit is not displayed correctly you are subject to being cited and will have to go through the process of contesting your citation. Your citation will not automatically be dismissed.
Replacing Permits (New Car, Stolen, or Lost)
If you replace a vehicle that has a valid permit with a new vehicle, a one-time free exchange may be issued for the same valid period when you return the original permit and provide us with the registration for the new vehicle. Temporary registration is not accepted. If your permit is stolen and you provide a police report, the first replacement is free. A second permit with a police report is 50% of cost. Lost permits can be replaced only once and at full cost.
Valid Times and Locations
- Overnight Resident/Guest beach permits are valid in City of Santa Monica beach lots 1N through 9N, and 4S and 5S (excluding the two-hour short-term parking areas)
- Central Zone Overnight Resident/Guest beach permits are valid in the Central Zone lots 2S and 3S located at 1650, 1670 and 1750 Appian Way. If lots 2S and 3S are full, Central Zone Overnight permits are accepted in lots 1N (1550 PCH) and 4S (2030 Ocean Ave).
- Overnight Resident/Guest and Central Zone Overnight Resident/Guest beach permits are valid 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
- Beach permits are not valid for on-street parking, at meters, on the Pier deck, in the parking structures, or in the short-term parking areas.
- Permits become invalid when the permit holder moves outside the boundaries listed above. Individuals who have sold or transferred their permits may lose their permit privileges.
- Beach permits are not valid for recreational vehicles, commercial vehicles, or vehicles that take up more than one standard parking stall.
- Vehicles parked in the same space for over 72 hours are subject to citation and/or tow [CVC Section 22651(k)].
- Permit holders must obey all posted signs, the California Vehicle Code, and the Santa Monica Municipal Code.
- There are no refunds for lost, unwanted, unused, or partial-period use of permits
For questions about parking enforcement or tickets, please contact Santa Monica Police Department Traffic Services Division at 310-458-8466.