Beach Parking Permits & Permit Availability
The City of Santa Monica beach lots are open for public parking from sunrise to sunset only, with the exceptions of Lot 1N which is open from 6 AM to 2 AM, and the upper Pier Deck lot which is open 24 hours per day. The daily and hourly parking fees (see page 3) vary depending on the season and location of the lot. See map for all lot locations.
A permit is not required to park at the beach during daylight hours. In lieu of paying the daily fee, a frequent beach-goers may choose to purchase a monthly, semi-annual, or annual permit. Beach parking permits are sold while supplies last as each type is pre-ordered on an annual basis and has a limited quantity available. Beach parking permits cannot be prorated.
Beach permits for the upcoming new calendar year are made available the Monday after Thanksgiving EXCEPT annual Day Beach permits. Current annual Day Beach customers can renew starting the Monday after Thanksgiving. IF there are any annual Day Beach permits remaining, they will be made available to new customers the first Monday in February (e.g. February 2017 for a 2017 permit). Please expect long lines on both days and plan accordingly.
California driver’s license and California vehicle registration reflecting your name and current address must be provided at the time of application for all beach parking permit applications and renewals. We do not accept temporary registrations or documentation. Visit the links below for additional permit-specific requirements.
- Day Beach - for California residents and for day use only
- Day Lot - for employees of Santa Monica Pier or Beach businesses
- Main Street Employee - for employees of businesses located on Main Street in Santa Monica
- Overnight Beach Resident - for Santa Monica residents living within the beach Zone
- Senior Beach - for California residents aged 62 or over and for day use only; valid April 1 thru March 31 each year (SOLD OUT for 4/1/16 - 3/31/17 permit year; permits for 4/1/17 - 3/31/18 permit year will go on sale Monday, March 6, 2017)