Task Force on the Environment
JANUARY 8, 2007 MEETING OF THE
CITY OF SANTA MONICA
TASK FORCE ON THE ENVIRONMENT
The meeting was convened at 7:30pm.
Task Force members in attendance: Rob Lempert, Matt Petersen, Erik Neandross, Susan Mearns, Bill Selby and Mark Gold.
Santa Monica city staff in attendance: Craig Perkins and Shannon Parry.
Others in attendance: Council Member Kevin McKeown, Recreation and Parks Commission liaison Kristina Deutsch and one other member of the public.
Public Input on Agenda Items
There was no public input on agenda items.
Approval of Minutes from the December 18, 2006 meeting
The minutes were approved unanimously.
Discussion and Recommendations Regarding Santa Monica College Environmental Audit
Genevieve Bertone introduced the item. Following the presentation, the Task Force made the following recommendations:
* The Executive Summary should be short and concise, and could include a list of the top 10 recommendations.
* The Environmental Audit could include a recommendation that Santa Monica College make a significant commitment to LEED building.
* The Environmental Audit could include a recommendation that Santa Monica College consider becoming Kyoto compliant.
* The Environmental Audit could include a recommendation that Santa Monica College comply with local ordinances, even though they are legally not required to do so.
* The Environmental Audit could include a recommendation that Santa Monica College develop its own sustainability plan consistent with the Santa Monica Sustainable City Plan.
In addition, the Task Force recommended that Santa Monica College consider investing in solar.
Discussion and Recommendations Regarding the 2007-08 Budget Priorities
After discussion, the Task Force made the following motion:
Motion: The Task Force on the Environment recommends that the2007-08 budget funds the following:
* Completion of the Santa Monica Airport Sustainability Plan
* Implementation of the ban on Polystyrene and non-recyclable plastics in food service containers
* Implementation of the Sustainable City Plan
* Implementation of Solar Santa Monica
* Implementation of Measure V; including implementation of the Watershed Management Plan as well as a funding allocations for a compliance assurance officer and senior professional engineer to manage the program
* Removal of MTBE from Santa Monica aquifers; and
* Development of an emergency action plan for the Santa Monica traffic crisis
Discussion and Recommendations Regarding Environmental Garment Care in Santa Monica
After discussion, the Task Force made the following motion:
Motion: The Task Force on the Environment is extremely concerned about dry cleaning pollution and strongly recommends a series of policy options to ensure the transition from a polluting garment industry into a sustainable garment industry in the next 5 years. Policy options include:
· Incentive Funding: Develop an incentive program for cleaners switching to non-toxic and non-smog forming technologies. Work with Southern California Edison to provide incentive program for cleaners switching to professional wet cleaning.
· Demonstration Program: Create 1-3 professional wet cleaning demonstration sites. Use existing CO2 site for demonstration.
· Green Business Certification: Develop city Green Business Certification Program for professional cleaners. Work with SCAG to develop regional Green Business Certification Program for non-toxic and non-smog forming garment care technologies.
· Resolution Supporting Professional Wet Cleaning Care Label: ISO has developed a professional wet clean care label system. The Federal Trade Commission, which controls care labels in the United States, has not proceeded with a professional wet cleaning care label.
· Ordinance Requiring Non-toxic and Non-smog Forming Garment Care Technology: Ordinance would allow only non-toxic and non-smog forming garment technologies to operate in Santa Monica. Ordinance would require all existing and new cleaners to install only non-toxic and non-smog forming technology. Ordinance would allow existing toxic and smog-forming solvent machines to operate to the end of their useful life (10 to 15 years
The Task Force on the Environment encourages the demonstration program begin within the first two years after policy adoption and recommends consistent education and outreach to implement the policy effectively.
Discussion and Selection of Task Force Representative to the Solid Waste Evaluation Team
Craig Perkins introduced the item. After discussion, the Task Force nominated Erik Neandross as the Task Force Representative to the Solid Waste Evaluation Team. He accepted the nomination.
Update on SCAQMD Air Quality Study at Van Nuys and Santa Monica Airports
Data collection for the augmentation study is underway. Data collection is scheduled to be completed by the end of February. The SCAQMD plans to have the data analyzed by summer 2007 and the report released by winter 2007.
Metropolitan Water District Update
No update was given.
Setting of Agenda for February 2007 Meeting
I. Public Input on Agenda Items
II. Approval of Minutes from the January 8, 2007 meeting
III. Discussion and Recommendations Regarding Sustainable City Plan Resource Conservation and Environmental and Public Health Indicators (30 min)
IV. Discussion and Recommendations Regarding Santa Monica Sustainable City Task Force (30 min) – Attachments 1 & 2
V. Discussion and Recommendations Regarding the Sustainability Advisory Team (30 min) – Attachment 3
VI. Update on SCAQMD Air Quality Study at Van Nuys and Santa Monica Airports (10min)
VII. Metropolitan Water District Update
VIII. Setting of Agenda for March 19, 2007 Meeting – Attachment 4
IX. Public Input on Non-Agendized Matters Within the Task Force’s Jurisdiction
X. Comments and Announcements – Attachments 5 - 7
The Task Force identified the following items for the March 2007 agenda: Discussion and Recommendations Regarding Green Roofs, Discussion and Recommendations Regarding Wastewater Rate Restructuring, and an Update on the Civic Center Master Plan.
Public Input on Non-Agendized Matters Within the Task Force’s Jurisdiction
Comments and Announcements
There was no public input on non-agendized items.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:36pm.
Last updated: Monday, 04/20/2009