Things you should know about fire
The City of Santa Monica does not face a significant wildfire threat. However, if you are looking for information on this, please go to www.fema.gov. In any case, every individual can take steps to prevent fires and make their homes and families safer.
Fire safety preparation for the home is easy. Simple steps to take include developing a fire escape plan for your family, and educating family members, including children, about safe evacuation. Additionally, be sure to include pets in your family fire escape plan.
Smoke alarms save lives.
"Almost two thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms." - www.nfpa.org
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home.
- Test alarms monthly by pushing the test button.
- Replace batteries on all smoke alarms at least once a year.
A portable fire extinguisher can save lives and property by putting out a small fire or containing it until the fire department arrives.
- Use a portable fire extinguisher when the fire is confined to a small area, such as a wastebasket.
- To operate a fire extinguisher remember the word PASS
Pull the pin
Aim low and point the extinguisher at the base of the fire
Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly
Sweep the nozzle from side to side
- Install fire extinguishers close to an exit and keep your back to a clear exit when using the device so you can make an easy escape if necessary.