Welcome to the City of Santa Monica. We are pleased that you have chosen to participate in the Santa Monica business community and wish you much success. The Santa Monica Municipal Code stipulates that all businesses operating or located in Santa Monica must obtain a business license prior to commencing business operations. To ensure a seamless transition into full and compliant operations with the City of Santa Monica's municipal code, below are the business license tax applications.
Business and Revenue Operations Division
Business License Office
1717 4th Street, Suite 150
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Regular Business Hours:
Monday through Thursday - 8:00am to 5:00pm
Alternating Fridays - 8:30am to 4:30pm
Click here for a calendar of current office hours
NEW - DELINQUENT TAXPAYER LIST
NEW BUSINESSES - DOWNLOAD THESE FORMS TO MAIL IN OR APPLY IN PERSON
- If your business is located at a commercial location in Santa Monica, download and complete the
- If your business is operated from your residence in Santa Monica, download and complete the
- If your business is located outside of Santa Monica and you come into the City to perform work or provide services, download and complete the
***On September 19, 2012 Governor Brown signed into law Senate Bill 1186 which adds a state fee of $1 on any applicant for a local business license, similar instrument or permit, or renewal. The purpose of this fee is to increase disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements and to develop education resources for businesses in order to facilitate compliance with federal and state disability laws, as specified
Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligation and how to comply with the disability access laws at the following agencies:
CHANGE OF INFORMATION
- If you have a current Santa Monica business license for a business located within the City and your information has changed, please download and complete the Change of Information - In-City form.
- If you have a current Santa Monica business license for a business located outside the City and your information has changed, please download and complete the Change of Information - Out of City form.
- If you have a current Santa Monica business license and your business has closed or ceased operations in Santa Monica, please download and complete the BUSINESS CLOSURE form.
- Additionally, if your physical location has changed, download and complete either the COMMERCIAL ZONING CONFORMANCE REVIEW or the RESIDENTIAL ZONING CONFORMANCE REVIEW form.
- Changes may include, but are not limited to:
- Change of physical location
- Change of mailing address
- Change of officers/owners
- Change of business name
- Change of business description
- Change of contact information
BUSINESS LICENSE RENEWAL
Most, but not all, Santa Monica business licenses can be renewed online for the 2013-2014 fiscal year (July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014). Renewal notices re mailed prior to the June 30 expiration of your current business license.
To apply on-line, you must have a valid credit card, the current business license number and the renewal PIN number, which is printed on the bottom, right-hand corner of the renewal notice.
RENEW ON-LINE - Click here to renew your current business license.
If there is no PIN pre-printed on your business license renewal or if any of the conditions below apply to your business license, your business license cannot be renewed online.
Please renew by mail, fax or in person if you have no pre-printed PIN on your renewal or if any of the following apply to your current business license:
- Your business has moved to a new location, changed owners, changed its name or changed its business activity.
- You claim the small business exemption.
- Your business license requires renewal of a police permit using a separate form.
- Your business is located in the Downtown or Pico Blvd. special business assessment district and assessment fees must be determined separately.
- Your business tax rate is for administrative headquarters and you must submit the cost of operations worksheet attached to the renewal form.
- Your business tax rate is for delivery vehicles and you must submit the vehicle report attached to the renewal form.
Additional Renewal Information
On April 23, 2013, the Santa Monica City Council adopted an ordinance establishing Pedicab regulations. The City has established the required pedicab permits and is accepting pedicab applications. In order to ensure the seamless transition into full and compliant operations, below is the relevant pedicab information:
OTHER BUSINESS LICENSE INFORMATION
FREQUENTLY REQUESTED PHONE NUMBERS
Fictitious Name Filing
Los Angeles County Clerk (562) 462-2177
Los Angeles County Health Department
- Central Public Health Center Los Angeles - (213) 240-8204
- Curtis-Tucker Public Health Center Inglewood - (310) 419-5325
- Hollywood/Wilshire Public Health Center Los Angeles - (323) 769-7800
Los Angeles County Tax Assessor - West District Office (310) 665-5300
Los Angeles City Business License (310) 575-8888
Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce (310) 393-9825
Small Business Administration - Los Angeles District Office (818) 552-3201
State Board of Equalization - Culver City Field Office (310) 342-1000
City of Santa Monica Planning and Zoning Division (310) 458-8341